running MPI, and login in locally into slave nodes

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Fri Aug 3 08:18:45 PDT 2001

On Fri, 03 Aug 2001, german kogan wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am really new at this. I just loaded Scyld  on my front end Machine and
> got one slave node up using NodeBoot.img over network from the master
> node. Eventually I will build a cluster. So I have a few question.
>

> 1) Was the Software that was on the master node installed onto the
> slave node?

No, it wasn't.  Our software is designed so that we don't need a full
install on the slave nodes.  All our jobs start on the master node and
move, using BProc, to the slave nodes.

> 2) Is it possible to login locally into a slave node? Because there is no
> prompt for loging in on the slave node and for some reason I could not tell
> into it from the master node.

That is correct.  You don't log into slave nodes, you just send jobs to
them.  If you need to run a command on a slave node, try:
bpsh <node number> <command>

> 3) I was trying to run a simple MPI program. And when I tried to run it
> using the command /usr/mpi-beowulf/bin/mpirun -np 2 a.out I got the
> following error message "p0_2813: p4_error: net_create_slave: host not
> bproc node: -3 p4_error: latest msg from perror: Success. However, it did
> work when I used 1 process instead of 2. Any ideas what
> does this mean and what am I doing wrong.

Hrm.. do you have any slave nodes up?  You can check that with 'bpstat'.
Also, are you trying to use a pgp4 file?