[freenet-devl] Looking for a research project?

Brian G. Powell bpowell at outbounderinc.com
Wed Apr 18 13:35:23 PDT 2001

Timm Murray writes:
 > I'm CCing this to the Beowulf mailing list, as there are people there who
 > will know a lot more about this then me.
 >
 > For the benifit of the Beowulf people:  On the Freenet mailing list (see
 > www.freenetproject.org if you're unfamiler with Freenet), we're talking
 > about doing a research project involving Freenet, particularly doing
 > simulations of the network.

*The above statement is correct; however, "Freenet" or a system like it
may behave in ways that are chaotic, in the engineering and mathematical
sense of the word "chaotic".

**Investigations into whether it is or not might be interesting; but, they
would be interesting to FREENET users that might wonder about network load
and dynamic changes and what may be most important: predictability.

*Very few nonlinear dynamic systems exhibit "chaos"; some estimates are around
2% of such systems.

**Three elements are required:

1) Horseshoe effect is present (like a Cantor Set).

2) Sensitivity on initial conditions: Will a tiny change in the initial
parameters in the initial phase of the creation or execution of the system
result in wildly varying results.

3) Unpredictability: Given any known set of variables, when measured at any
known time, can we accurately predict a later set of values when measured
simultaneously (e.g. the Butterfly Effect comes to mind well for this
attribute especially).

 > >> Freenet is a natural system, and thus any simuations are
 > >> susceptable to the Butterfly Effect.
 > >
 > >Not all complex systems are chaotic.  I disagree that Freenet is a
 > >chaotic system since it doesn't seem to be particularly reliant on the
 > >initial configuration of the network (a chaotic system would be).
 >
 > I would argue that the initial configuration of the /network/ isn't chaotic,
 > but the path a document takes upon initial insertion and the subsequent
 > requests are.  You were right to say that it depends on what part of Freenet
 > you're simulating.
 >
 > I think the best simulation you could have would be a Beowulf cluster with
 > each node in the cluster running multiple Freenet nodes (all on a diffrent
 > port and data store).  If Fred (for the Beowulf people: Fred is the Freenet
 > Refrance program, which is written in Java) can someday work well with a GCJ
 > compile, you could put something like 20 Freenet nodes on a single Beowulf
 > node, even with each node being only a 486.  Note that our little
 > Freenet-in-Beowulf never talks to the Freenet on the Internet itself.

In any case, thanks for the thread.  Its very interesting, if some research
is done on this, please give us some of the results.

;-)