Debian vs RedHat config question.

lowther at att.net lowther at att.net
Sat Apr 21 10:51:36 PDT 2001

Velocet wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 10:30:02AM -0400, lowther at att.net's all...
> > Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've been using RedHat 6.2 of the past year to build clusters and tinker
> > > with.  Recently I've taken the plunge into Debian (Potato-2.2r3) world and I
> > > find that some of the configuration is good bit different.  In particular,
> > > I'm looking for an analogy in Debian.  In RedHat 6.2 (it may be different in
> > > 7.x), there is a file "/etc/sysconfig/static-routes" that helps bring up the
> > > network routing very cleanly.
> >
> At risk of being rude, the details of debian installations and configurations
> should probably be moved onto debian lists. There are tons of archived
> mailing lists no doubt answering your questions, as well as FAQs. And if
> you're impatient, irc.debian.org #debian can work too.
>
> I'd expect debian-oriented conversations here to cover topics related
> to beowulf clusters instead.
>
> For eg, since debian 2.2 doenst have glibc2.2, is it alot slower than
> redhat 7? Has anyone tried out progeny debian? (It supposedly has
> glibc2.2).

Since this is the most focused list I am subscribed to, migrating a
cluster from one Linux to another seems on topic by comparision.  The
point of asking the origninal question (not mine) here is that it will
find people who are likely to specifically understand the problem and
have experience with it in a clustering context.  Scyld is just another
Linux distro when it comes to installation.  I don't remember anyone
complaining about all the install and configuration questions about
Scyld that gets asked here.

Since I am on lists that do stray far off topic, I do appreciate the
fact that you are trying to define boundries and offer constructive
alternatives.

--
Ken Lowther
Youngstown, Ohio