Which 1000BASE-T is better?

Douglas Eadline deadline at plogic.com
Fri Apr 20 04:33:30 PDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, J. G. LaBounty wrote:

> >We want to buy a Gigabit card for our master node, we have found these
> >cards:
> >
> >    - 3Com 3C-996-T
> >    - Intel PRO / 1000T
> >    - Ovislink GE-2000N (Works under Linux?)
> >    - Netgear GA-620-T
> >
> >Does Anybody say anything about these cards?
> >
> >Are there others cards better?
>
> We have used the Intel Pro / 1000T. Intel has linux drivers for both
> the 2.2 and 2.4 kernels. Using 3 streams of ftp to between 2 gigabit
> ports, I have gotten a 59MBS aggregate but cpu busy goes to 93% on
> a dual 800MHz system. The 2.4 kernel can do about 50% better on the
> same test. The two hosts were connected by HP4000 switch.

You should try using netpipe for testing interconnects.
ftp is not a good benchmark. We have been testing various
gigabit cards and find the latencies in the 60-80 usec
range with throughput in the 40-50 MB/sec range under
tcp. (Using dual III-800 and Serverworks LE motherboards)

BTW, the netpipe MPI is more relevant for this list (or PVM if you use it).
Most applications look at the interconnect through an MPI, so
measuring performance from that perspective is important.

You should also look at Syskonnect. The are very supportive of
the linux/beowulf community.

Doug

> John

Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.814.2800
130 Webster Street        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.814.5844
Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com