netgear gigabit tuning

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Apr 20 00:56:56 PDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Dan Yocum wrote:
> Felix Rauch wrote:
> > With our Hamachi GNIC-II Gigabit
> > Ethernet cards we reached about 40 MB/s on 400 MHz/PIII and 2.2.x
> > kernels. The same cards achieve over 100 MB/s with our new 1 GHz/PIII
> > machines and a linux 2.4.3 kernel.
[...]
> Those are impressive numbers.  Is this real data from disk or are you
> using gensink or ttcp? If you're getting this with real data, what does
> you're subsystem look like?  RAID?  What brand/model?  Which
> mobo/chipset?  What speed memory?  133MHz?  Make/model?

These are TCP-only numbers, no disk access. We measured them with
netperf. If you are interested I could try Dolly over Gigabit
Ethernet, which means disk -> GE -> disk. I could probably even try
that with a simple software RAID (which I would first have to setup
though).

Our machines use STL2 mobos with ServerWorks LE chipset (for memory
characteristics see [1]). About the details of the memory I'd have to
ask first.

- Felix

[1] http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/CoPs/ECT/
Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: ++41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   ++41 1 632 1307