What do you guys thing about the P4

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Sat Apr 14 05:12:25 PDT 2001

Ivan Rossi wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Nordwall, Douglas J wrote:
>
> > I spoke with Dave Feller and he does not know what compiler was used. Since we
> > do not have a source license to Gaussian (our lab makes a competing product ;),
> > we only get binaries. Since these were the same binaries I have used on the last
> > 6 machines I have tested on, and were made _at least_ a year ago, I am guessing
> > they were not made with special p4 compilers. However, Dave and I can ask the
> > gaussian folks.
>
> I would like to point out that Gaussian's stated requirement for G98/linux is
> the usage of PGI Fortran compiler, release 3.1 or later. Furthermore it is
> suggested the usage of the UTK BLAS libraries, tuned for the Pentium Pro.
> See http://www.gaussian.com/g98_req.htm

I would strongly advice to use ATLAS (http://www.netlib.org/atlas) to
generate an optimal BLAS librarie. Greg Henry's one is very nice but a
little bit too old by now. By the way, ATLAS just added P4 SSE2 support
and the performance are ... interesting :-)
(http://www.netlib.org/atlas/atlas-comm/msg00240.html)

Regards

--
Patrick Geoffray

|      Myricom Inc       |  University of Tennessee - CS Dept |
| 325 N Santa Anita Ave. |   Suite 203, 1122 Volunteer Blvd.  |
|   Arcadia, CA 91006    |      Knoxville, TN 37996-3450      |
|     (626) 821-5555     |      Tel/Fax : (865) 974-0482      |