What do you guys thing about the P4

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Wed Apr 11 12:13:35 PDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 11:26:45AM -0700, Joe Griffin wrote:

> There are two problems with memory: latency and bandwidth.

Joe,

It would be helpful if you would include the lmbench memory latency
number, then people could see better what you're getting at. I don't
recall, but I assume that the P4 has bigger bandwidth but higher
latency?

> The PIII has SDRAM, and the P4 has RDRAM.  I have not
> tested wth DDR, and I suspect it will help.

The lmbench results for DDR would give you a clue. I don't remember if
it changed latency at all, and the bandwidth increase over normal
memory is modest. As I mentioned before, the P4 bandwidth benefit is
not really due to RDRAM, it's due to the wide memory interface in the
chipset.

-- g