True 64 vs. Linux code on an Alpha

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Tue Apr 10 07:43:34 PDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 10:45:12AM -0600, Craig Tierney wrote:

> Which version of the Compaq Compilers for Linux are you using?
> One of the users here has reported significant speed up using
> the v1.1 Beta Fortran compiler.

It's worth mentioning that this user was doing quite a few F95-style
operations, and was seeing a significant slowdown over F77 with the
original CCC compiler, and that slowdown is now gone. I think there's
still some slowdown related to allocated arrays vs. common blocks.

If you just throw around "it got a lot faster" then people don't learn
anything, or they learn that the old compiler sucked. It didn't, in
general, just in a few cases.

-- g