What do you guys thing about the P4

W Bauske wsb at paralleldata.com
Wed Apr 4 15:38:10 PDT 2001

Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> Scott Shealy wrote:
>
> > impressive(almost 2.5 time faster than an ATHLON w/ PC133.... I haven't seen
> > any STREAM benchmarks for the DDR but my feeling is that the P4 is still
>
> You should compare stream for dual Athlons with DDR, not single CPU. I don't
> have numbers either, but I don't think Rambus will slash dual Athlon/DDR too
> badly, if at all.
>
> If anyone has numbers, please post them.

My DDR Athlons aren't a match for a P4 when you look at stream numbers.
Around half what the P4 can do.

I don't see your logic for comparing a dual Athlon to a single P4. Basically
you make it worse for the Athlon per cpu. The P4 outruns almost any cpu out
there when you look at the stream numbers. Same is true for SPEC2000. Just
have to use Intel compilers. I'm hoping the ones for Linux happen "real soon now".
Their web site says March, 2001.

Wes