<OT> SETI-style quest for cancer drugs

Borries Demeler demeler at bioc09.v19.uthscsa.edu
Tue Apr 3 10:23:14 PDT 2001

> With cancer drugs however, its quite obvious how to make a profit, and
> it concerns me that 'public' effort (money for power, money for machines,
> man hours) is being used to produce results which are not going to be
> in the public domain when discovered.

This seems to be spearheaded by Intel: http://www.intel.com/cure/research.htm
Other players involved are United Devices Inc., the National Foundation for
Cancer Research (NFCR) and the University of Oxford.
I couldn't find any reference to who owns the research after completion, but
also wopuld be interested to learn about the ownership issues.

-Borries
* Borries Demeler, Ph.D.                                                      *
* The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio                *
* Dept. of Biochemistry, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900 *
* Voice: 210-567-6592, Fax: 210-567-4575, Email: demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu  *