New price/performance leader for Ethernet switches?

John Eshleman jeshleman at hpti.com
Thu Sep 21 12:46:38 PDT 2000

Agreed!!!  Anybody out there have one of these 420T's.

The 420T does have a different switching fabric than the previous intel
stuff...The 410T had 9.6 (Gbps 24-ports) (supposedly) while the 420T has
21.3 Gbps (48-ports) (supposedly).

but the marketing material for the 2 differs substantially.

the 410T says "Users receive switched performance even during high traffic
bursts."
the 420T says "100% non-blocking, full duplex on all ports Handle demanding
applications at wire speed"

sounds like you got "some sort of switched performanced during high traffic
bursts" from the 410T.  I'm very curious about the 420T.

john

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 10:27:13PM -0400, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> > For a long time, the HP Procurve 4000M was the
> price/performance leader for
> > fast ethernet switches. One of my co-workers (John Eshleman)
> points out a
> > new contender:
> >
> > http://intel.com/network/products/exp420t.htm
> >
> > The 420T has 48 ports and 2 slots which take gigabit expansion
> cards. It is
> > apparently always store-and-forward, but claims 20 usec
> switching latencies
> > for 100 mbit. Street price (www.hardwarestreet.com) is $1540, the gbit
> > uplinks are $377.
>
> i think someone should actually test the 420T before anyone gets their
> hopes up...the previous generation, 410T 24port switches performed
> horribly when taxed at all.  streaming at full speed over >8 ports
> (that is, 4 senders and 4 receivers) even with
> largest-possible-legal packets
> brought the performance on all ports down to half, and degraded further
> as more ports were taxed.  we were donated some (thank you, intel!) but
> had to replace them with ciscos as our apps were actually hitting
> a network

Request a CDROM  1-800-333-3633