Topcluster listing

Erich Strohmaier erich at cs.utk.edu
Thu Sep 21 07:16:49 PDT 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Dan Yocum wrote:

> Greg Lindahl wrote:
> >
> > > I suspect that the institutions that have the biggies are too busy with
> > > "real work" to run a benchmark on the cluster -
> >
> > Actually, you'll find that "the biggies" in HPC are quite eager to get on
> > the Top 500 list. It's the industry biggies (google, Incyte) that definitely
> > don't care.
>
> I tried to get management to run linpack on our "clusters" (OK, so
> they're really farms, but...) at Fermi.  We couldn't take the time.  We
> had to get the work done.  Reality often gets in the way of desire.

That's a known issue which hits the cluster community particular hard.
Usually Linpack numbers are provided by manufacturers which run them
"in house" on a reference system (once and forever).
As each cluster tends to be so unique, every site would need to run
Linpack themselves multiplying the effort.

That is the reason why we started to collect data for a seperate
"top cluster list" WITHOUT any benchmark data.

See    http://www.topclusters.org

Even without benchamrk data, such a DB could be of interest and use for
the community.  The benchmark data will be filled in as we go.

Thanks

Erich