night-time auto-reboot?

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Mon Sep 18 09:01:01 PDT 2000

Our department is picking up a few decent PC's for staff.  I'm
wondering about the current feasibility of auto-booting in and out of
Windows 2000 and Linux on a set schedule (say, out of Windows to Linux
at 8pm, into Windows at 6am, or something like that).  We've got a
small cluster, and this would be just to augment that.

Most of our jobs are migrated via MOSIX, but we are looking at some
PVM/MPI code as well, and with respect to the later, will we have
problems?  (or would it just be a matter of making sure that the
MPI/PVM jobs are initiated as processes on the primary cluster
machines, since they can migrate back to "home" when the augmenting
machines switch over?)

I guess, what I'm looking for is some kind of logic for Lilo, or even
using something like UMSDOS to start up a Linux job (to take over the
system).

Any experiences?

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
BlindGlobe Networks (home/default)	rossini at blindglobe.net
UW Biostat/Center for AIDS Research	rossini at u.washington.edu
FHCRC/SCHARP/HIV Vaccine Trials Net	rossini at scharp.org

FHCRC: M/Tu: 206-667-7025 (fax=4812) | Voicemail is pretty sketchy
CFAR:   W/F: 206-731-3647 (fax=3694) | Email is far better than phone
UW:    Th/F: 206-543-1044 (fax=3286) | Change last 4 digits of phone for fax