node accounts

Jim Phillips jim at ks.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 12 11:58:53 PDT 2000

Hi,

I like NIS but we don't use it directly on our cluster because we use the
same network for parallel communication as for NIS, logins, etc.  When a
machine is saturating its network interface with parallel job
communications, logging in is slow enough, without requiring extra
communication to NIS to get basically static information.  The solution I
found for this (since the rest of our network uses NIS) is to set up a
cron script to copy data from NIS into local files once per hour.  That
way, information is found in /etc/passwd etc. and no additional queries
are required.  Our setup may be particularly sensitive to this effect
since they are two processor nodes and launching that second process via
rsh (ssh) while the first is loading via NSF is slow.  For other
applications which don't abuse the network as badly, this may not be as
much of an issue.

-Jim