Problems with Tulip ethernet on diskless cluster

Franz Marini marini at pcmenelao.mi.infn.it
Fri Sep 8 08:09:48 PDT 2000

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Don Holmgren wrote:

> Whenever I've had this problem - carrier errors on a full duplex
> connection - it's always been because the tulip driver is in half duplex
> mode but the card is in full duplex.  I believe (but may be wrong) that
> mii-diag reports only the setting of the hardware.  Try adding
>
>   full_duplex=1
>
> to your tulip insmod command.

Thank you very much, that indeed solved the problem...

By the way, that didn't improve the performance of fftw. Dunno what to
think. Maybe I'll examine the source to see if there's some
bottleneck. I noticed that it makes lots of comms between the nodes, but
really a few between the nodes and the server. I think I'll continue to
investigate on the problem in my spare time... If anyone have any idea,
I'd be gratefull.

Again, thank you very much,

Franz

Franz Marini
Sys Admin and Software Analyst,
Dept. of Physics, University of Milan, Italy.

"There's nothing wrong in M$oft that Linux can't cure..."

email : marini at pcmenelao.mi.infn.it