Benchmarking project in progress that you can participate in.

Schilling, Richard RSchilling at affiliatedhealth.org
Thu Oct 19 13:21:09 PDT 2000

Just to let you all know that today I brought live a little benchmarking
applet on my web pages at work.  The applet is designed to benchmark the
implementation of a NOW cluster implemented in Java applets.  The messaging
that takes places is based on the HTTP protocol.

You can participate in the benchmark by pointing your browsers to
http://www.affiliatedhealth.org.  Any web page on the site will benchmark
the Java Virtual Machine on your computer.

You can find more details about the project , which I call the GlobalNOW
project, on my other website: http://www.nationalinformatics.com/GlobalNOW

So far it's worked well. Here's what is benchmarked:

	The number of integer calculations per second.
	The average free memory during the time the applet is running.

When you get there look at your Java console.  You don't have to do anything
else to participate.  The web server automatically records your results,
which I will make public here over the next month or so.

I'm also interested to know if the applet does not work on anyone's machine.

I'm also doing the follow-up research on papers that have addressed this
already, and will put together a paper to present (somewhere).  And of
course I'll be implementing some more common benchmarks soon (as time
permits), so stay tuned. . . .

If any of you have something you'd like to benchmark for Java applets in
particular, let me know.

Richard Schilling
Webmaster / Web Integration Programmer
http://www.affiliatedhealth.org