Fluent

Andreas Boklund andreas at amy.udd.htu.se
Wed Oct 18 01:58:46 PDT 2000

I replied to Daniel but i might as well translate my reply to him to
english and add a few things and send it to the list.

I have build 2 clusters with the purpose of running fluent on them.

The first one was

 FoxHole
 20 * Pentium III 500 	128SDRAM
 1 * Cisco Catalyst 1900

 The second one is the one that im "fine tuning" right now.

 ?????
 1 * dual Pentium III 866 256RDRAM
 9 * dual Pentium III 800 256RDRAM
 1 * Cisco Catalyst 2900

Our calculations has a LOT of chemistry in them so i dont think its fair
to draw any standard conclusions from them.
But maybe a few pointers:

They dont require much bandwith.
Although each iteration i do with my new cluster sends approx 150-200MB of
information /iteration. One iteration takes just over a minute to
complete. This might sound like a lot but the switch is not an issue.

On very few computers it has pretty good scalability but somewhere around
10-12 processors the gain of adding another one is very small. (we need
the time so we added a few more anyway).

This chart http://www.exjobb.udd.htu.se/2000/sv3/25/Image3.gif (is in
swedish) but it showes the time it takes for FOXHOLE with different number
of nodes to complete our problem, and it shows the time it takes for a
Dell with 4*550 and 1GBSDRAM.

Fluent is pretty RAM hungry although for the nodes i "might" have been
able to use 128MB but im considering to go to 512 on the master.

MVH
//Andreas

And if anyone know Swedish (i know that Daniel does) you can read our
Bachelor thesis on:
http://www.exjobb.udd.htu.se/2000/sv3/25/
Unfortunately we had to cut away a lot of the technical stuff :(

 *  Administator of Amy(studentserver) and Sfinx(Iris23) *
 *   Voice: 070-7294401                                  *
 *   ICQ: 12030399                                       *
 *   Email: andreas at htu.se, boklund at linux.nu             *
 *   That is how you find me, How do -I- find you ?      *