Why no rlogin to nodes?

Jeff Layton laytonjb at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 13 15:51:16 PDT 2000

At 03:20 PM 10/12/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Walt,
>
><shameless>
>Run Scyld Beowulf! Our nodes don't even have inetd -- let alone
>rsh, telnet, or ftp daemons!
></shameless>

Well, I just saw the demo of the Scyld stuff at
Atlanta Linux Showcase today (at 3:00). It is fantastic!
I can't even begin to describe what this does for clustering.
No inetd, not telnet, etc. I think this solves some
security concerns about cracking the compute nodes
(unless you crack the master node first, but then
again, there's really nothing on the compute nodes
anyway and Beowulf2 can wipe the disk on reboot so
any cracked files are gone).

I think there are a couple of pieces left before it
fulfills my production requirements, but it's darn
close.

If you get a chance to test this distribution, do it!
You won't regret it.

Jeff