Why not NT clusters? Need arguments.

Cabaniols, Sebastien Sebastien.Cabaniols at compaq.com
Fri Oct 6 08:01:35 PDT 2000

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Jon Tegner [mailto:tegner at nada.kth.se]
		Sent:	Friday, October 06, 2000 7:05 AM
		To:	beowulf at beowulf.org
		Subject:	Why not NT clusters? Need arguments.

		In a disussion of clusters I got the question why not using
systems
		running microsoft NT. I only came up with cost and stability
in a
		sweeping way, and I couldnt present more quantitative
arguments. Later,
		I even found that an nt cluster sits on place 207 on the
top500 list
		(see
http://www.top500.org/lists/TOP500List.php3?Y=2000&M=06)
		is that an exception, or are there many of these beasts
around?

		I would appreciate to be enlightened on this issue.

		Thanks,

		/jon

		I don't think it is possible to install the cluster without
the graphic card.
		So you end up with N useless graphic cards using N PCI
slots, costing
		you money and completly useless.

		I don't think you can remove the X server, so you loose N
times the
		memory to run it.