Has anyone used the rpm package on a redhat 6.2 system?

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Tue Nov 28 16:58:22 PST 2000

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Judd Tracy wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Robert Sand wrote:
>

> > I am not getting the kernel to boot on my VALinux server with the real RedHat
> > 6.2 distribution.  When I try to boot it I get these errors:
> >
> > VFS: Cannot open root device 08:07
> > Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs 08:07
>
> This sounds to me like the drivers (ide or scsi) are modules, and of
> course you can't mount the root device if the modules can't be loaded.  I
> had a similar problem when I recompiled the kernel and made the scsi
> driver modules without realizing the root partition was on a scsi drive.

This is what 'initrd's -- initial ramdisks -- are for. You need to create
an 'initrd' for your setup that includes scsi modules (08:07 is
/dev/sda7).

Check out the mkinitrd program and manpage installed on your system for
details.

Examine your lilo.conf or the lilo.conf manpage for details on making
this new initrd work with lilo

Regards,
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation