Alpha SMP Beowulf cluster: problems with SMP and ethernet !!
auro at nietzsche.mit.edu
Thu May 25 19:36:43 PDT 2000
Here is what I found trying with your driver.
1) if the driver is loaded inside the kernel the system hangs with the
ping command in SMP mode. All ok with no SMP kernel.
2) if the driver is loaded as module the same behaviour occurs as before.
BUT !!!!!! BUT if I stop the network (ifconfig gives nothing), rmmod
eepro100 and again insmod eepro100 and again start the network, everything
works fine !!! Same if I try with 3C905 (another driver of yours).
My conclusions are:
1) I wrote a simple script that does this at boot.
2) there is something wrong with allocation of interrupt in the alpha
kernel for ds264 boards.
3) I keep this bad patch until the problem goes away.
On Thu, 25 May 2000, Donald Becker wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2000, Stefano Curtarolo wrote:
> > > I tried eepro100.c v1.10a on our dual 21264 system this evening.
> > > Barring a few problems (compile command and the like), there was no
> > > problem.
> > I am trying your 1.10a driver right now, but kernel 2.3.99pre9 gives me a
> > bunch of errors on eepro100.c . I went back to the 1.09.
> The driver updates on scyld.com only support 1.2.0 through 2.3 kernels.
> Presumably the older-but-modified drivers 2.3.99 drivers are perfect.
> (Otherwise they wouldn't be going down that path, eh?)
> Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Annapolis MD 21403
More information about the Beowulf