automating commands on nodes

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Tue Jun 6 00:41:41 PDT 2000

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 05:11:58PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi jakob,
>
> we have ssh on the beowulf frontend, but not on the nodes.  any ideas on
> automating installing ssh on the nodes?  i haven't seen redhat 6.1 ssh rpms,

Unless all of your nodes are exposed on the public internet, do you need
ssh on them? I wouldn't have thought so.

> i guess that's a remnant of the USA's moronic crypto export policy (which i
> understand was mostly lifted).

For source code, mostly. Binaries are still troublesome.

> i've tried to use mandrake's ssh packages on a redhat 6.1, but redhat balked
> at the mandrake rpms.

oh well. so much for a single packaging system.

> btw, i didn't know ssh had the capability to run stuff non-interactively.
> that is a very cool thing to know!  thank you very much!

Something the original poster hasn't taken into account is that sometimes
some programs wil require a pty allocated and you'll need to use the -t
switch to ssh.

Anand