Opinions needed on new system

Jack Wathey wathey at salk.edu
Thu Jul 20 10:49:07 PDT 2000

I'm no hardware guru, so I won't comment on your specific configuration,
but I do have a general suggestion.  If you have not yet written the
parallel application that you intend to run on the cluster, then consider
buying only 2 nodes, or just scrounge up two old PC's and connect them
with a crossover cable.  Do as much designing and coding of your
application software as possible on that minicluster.  This could easily
take weeks or months, depending on the complexity of your problem.  It
will give you time to learn whatever message-passing software you plan
to use.  During that time, prices will probably fall, and better hardware
will probably come on the market.  When your code is fully up and running
on your minicluster, then go out and buy the real thing.

Best wishes,
Jack