Beowulf & FFT

Tony Skjellum tony at MPI-Softtech.Com
Tue Jul 18 17:02:14 PDT 2000

Folks...

1) FFTW is fast, but not the fastest FFT for all platforms, it is
   quite a nice piece of work however.

   It adapts
   to a platform (such as CISC Intel architecture), by running a sequence
   of different sizes, to build a strategy for the sequential FFTs
   you use.  This makes it competitive to be sure, but not optimal.

   Like ATLAS, competitive is hard to beat unless you write assembler
   and use the same tricks it uses plus more, or else specialize the
   code to RISC or CISC, etc, the cache hierarchy, prefetching, and
   permutation options, etc, etc.

2) The MPI_Alltoall call is far from optimal.  For a 2D matrix transpose
   it is for sure easy to write a call that is more optimal.

   Here are some reasons why:

   a) Each MPI alltoall has to work with derived datatypes to capture the
   semantics of a matrix transpose; these are quite slow with some
   implementations of MPI.

   b) The usual implementation of all-to-all, based on the semantics of
   the call, is N-1 sends and N-1 receives at each node.  When you
   know you are actually doing a 2D transpose, you can do better, such
   as gather scatter algorithms, or sequences thereof.  [Greg Lindahl
   spoke of such tradeoffs at one meeting I was at.]

   c) Persistent point-to-point communication (if implemented on a fast
   implementation of MPI that makes them faster than regular point to
   point), provide a good basis for writing a corner-turn (2D tranpose)
   of your own, which you might vary in algorithm as a function of the
   size of the processor set and matrix size.

Doing the corner turn yourself with your own calls will never be worse
than alltoall, given the state of the algorithms used (which in turn
derives from the difficulty of optimizing alltoall in general).

Surprisingly, people use alltoall as a way to measure the performance
of corner turns on some MPI implementations, even though you can write
a better, faster, still portable corner turn of your own, strictly
in terms of pt2pt calls.

Tony

Anthony Skjellum, PhD, President (tony at mpi-softtech.com)
MPI Software Technology, Inc., Ste. 33, 101 S. Lafayette, Starkville, MS 39759
+1-(662)320-4300 x15; FAX: +1-(662)320-4301; http://www.mpi-softtech.com
"Best-of-breed Software for Beowulf and Easy-to-Own Commercial Clusters."