Are we there yet?

Tom Moline tpmoline at ll.net
Tue Jul 18 13:36:13 PDT 2000

Hello all,
	Martin Siegert mentions using "fast FFTs to integrate PDEs using spectral methods".
He further delineates a classic example of MPI becoming part of the problem rather than part
of the solution.  I have attempted to negotiate my expectations with massive computational
algorithms by simply rendering some type of standard output that soothes my "watching the
pot boil".  We have quite a distance to cover in understanding the algorithmic implications of
the "Beowulf" effect.  No one has the same HW and SW setup, and no one is handling the
same sets of computational problems. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)  Part of the beauty
of this beast is the diversity of usage and solutions.  Perhaps some of the better funded
university entities on this list would consider a competition based on the same physical and
logical setups with a common problem to solve.  The resulting products could provide some
algorithmic stability to the ongoing discussions.
best to all :-)
tom_moline
Prototyme