[3c509] Feedback. Suggestion. Request. 3Com 509B.

Wm. G. McGrath wgm@telus.net
Tue Aug 6 21:17:01 2002

Hi,

so I thought I'd pass it along, and include the original post below
that.

I'm sure adding features to the 3Com 509B utility (scyld) does not
rank very high on the priority list. It's only a 10Mb card and is no
longer manufactured. Still there are zillions of them still in use
and 10Mb is all you need to connect to DSL or cable. So they will
probably be around for quite a while. So I guess that means people
will be using Donald's utiltity for quite a while too. B->>

I guess the point is that the 3Com utility (dos) has some features
that it would be useful to access under linux - without having to
resort to dos boot disks. It's just a lot simpler to have the things
you need available in one place. Besides setting the IRQ and
address, I needed to be able to turn PnP off and Full Duplex on.
While I was there I also reset the media type and the modem speed -
not essential but someone might need it.

Donald's utility is already written and I can personally attest to
it's usefulness. It's just a question of increasing it's
functionality. This might be as simple as being able to change the
contents of a register or two. So I don't think this is a major
undertaking.

Anyways, there you have it. My 3Com problem is solved, but others I
am sure, will need to solve the same problems. Adding features to
the utility would make linux a little more self sufficient and
easier to use.

	I hope this feedback is useful.

	Thanks for listening,

	bill

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:17:34 -0400 (EDT)
David C Niemi <niemi@tuxers.net> wrote:

|On 5 Aug 2002, Fredrik Stax{ng wrote:
|> Given documentation for the 3com card it should not be hard to
|> enhance Donald Becker's utility to do what you want.

--
"The story of the scapegoat ought to be impenetrable. Myth serves
primarily to hide the arbitrariness of the victim and the fact that