[3c509] Problem with 3c555 / Micron laptop

DJLawler@aol.com DJLawler@aol.com
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 11:23:00 EDT

I have a Micron (Transport NX) with a base station that includes a built in
network card (a mini-pci 3c555).  I have loaded Redhat 6.2 on the machine
with no problems except for the networking.  With the scyld drivers
downloaded and installed, the 3c59x module loads without complaining and I am
able to ping to and from the machine.  However, when I try any 'real' service
- ftp, http, telnet, I am unable to get anything to work to or from the
machine.  Here is the dmesg output on boot up:

3c59x.c:v0.99Ra 8/7/2000 Donald Becker, becker@scyld.com
  <A
HREF="http://www.deja.com/%5BST_artlink=www.scyld.com%5D/jump/http://www.scyld

.com/network/vortex.html">http://www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html</A>
eth0: 3Com 3c555 Laptop Hurricane at 0xd000,  ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, IRQ 11   8K
byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, MII interface.
  MII transceiver found at address 0, status 782d.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and early receives.

I think that the ff:ff:ff... address is a problem.  scyld's web site even
mentions this in passing on one page but I have tried the
suggestions listed (cold boot into linux, turn off plug & play bios support -
not a option with the Micron's bios).  Help?!

Thanks,

David