GNIC-II Hamachi Driver and Re: Hamachi Help Please

Chris Worley cworley@altatech.com
Mon Feb 8 12:00:37 1999

Frank Morton wrote:

> #3 What does the following error message mean. I am running
> a very new Pentium II machine with Red Hat 5.2 using kernel 2.0.36:
>
> eth1: Hamachi transmit timed out, status 00003803, resetting...

I talked to Don about this once.  If this is the same problem, we
decided it occurred when talking to a slow network:  the transmit ring
fills up and stalls.  His driver currently does nothing in this
situation (I believe he was expecting such a stall to be the result of
hardware problems).

Lately, I've been using Eric Kasten's modifications to the hamachi
driver, at:

   http://www.nscl.msu.edu/~kasten/perf/hamachi/

I find this to be very robust ("it takes a licking and keeps on
ticking"), but I haven't tested for this problem (I was NFS root-booting
multiple nodes from a host on a 100BaseT connection to the GigE).  I
have another problem with netperf UDP tests.  Although this driver
doesn't solve those problems, the network still works after the UDP
fails.  I would recommend Eric's modifications.

Chris