GNIC II bus size (32 vs 64 bit) override, now in hamachi.c v0.10

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Aug 21 03:47:29 1999

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Chris Worley wrote:

> Sumit Roy wrote:
> > You MUST cold boot into Linux. The card should be detected as 32 bit in that
> > case. This is a known bug in the ASUS motherboards.
>
> Has there ever been a solution to this?
>
> I've searched ASUS's web site and can't find any mention of it, but I
> experience this problem (64 bit GNIC-II card being told it's in a 64 bit
> bus on warm boot; causing either a panic or the card to not respond when
> packets are sent to it) with all my ASUS P2B boards.  Should I replace
> the motherboard or the GNIC card (what's a good replacement for the
> GNIC-II that has a Linux driver)?

The Hamachi provides a register to report and override the PCI bus size
detection.  The driver emits a message with the detected bus size and the
(admittedly cryptic) value "Virtual Jumper".  Could you please report the
values emitted both when the size detection works and when it fails?

The driver contains the following disabled code, but I haven't had a broken
machine to test it on:
#ifdef notyet
       /* Disable PCI Parity Error (0x02) or PCI 64 Bit (0x01) for miswired
          motherboards. */
	  if (readb(ioaddr + VirtualJumpers) != 0x30)
	     writeb(0x33, ioaddr + VirtualJumpers)
#endif

To provide an immediate fix I've updated the driver to take a new module
paramter named "force32".

   ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test/hamachi.c

hamachi.c v0.10 8/21/99
Updated to kernel 2.2.*.  (This actually occured with v0.08)
Added a force32 module parameter to allow overriding the PCI bus size
detection.
   Set to 1 to force 32 bit PCI bus detection.  Set to 4 to force 64 bit.
   Add 2 to disable parity detection.
Updated the driver to use netif_wake_queue() instead of mark_bh() and
   capable(CAP_NET_ADMIN) instead of suser().
Changed the minimum PCI latency value from 64 to 32 to avoid reported video
   card bogusness.

Note that this driver version does NOT have the patches and improvements
from Eric Kasten, nor does it have the PowerPC support.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html