[vortex] 3c59x / vortex_error(), status=0xe081 / RAM > 3GB

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Apr 6 02:20:48 PDT 2009

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Detlef Graef wrote:

> after upgrading my PC from 2GB of RAM to 6GB the NIC 3C905C-TX doesn't work
> any more.

I did a lot of work with the 3c59x driver but that was long ago so
some information bits have vanished from my memory. I seem to remember
that the pointers that the DMA engine from the card uses are 32bit
ones - meaning that you shouldn't expect it to work when memory can be
allocated beyond 4GB. You can try forcing the use of IOMMU, but how or
whether that would work depends a lot on the actual hardware (CPU +
mainboard).

By the way, this problem is not a 3c59x specific one; the hardware was
designed 10 or more years ago when 64bit OSes existed only on very
expensive hardware. Modern PCIe based network cards should not have
this limitation.

IWR, University of Heidelberg, INF 368, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 8240, Fax: +49 6221 54 8850
E-mail: bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de