[vortex] IRQ routing problems with 6 NICs

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Sep 28 09:24:21 PDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Raul Dias wrote:

> When I boot a 2.6.x kernel, all hell breaks loose.  I get all sort of
> IRQ problems with the NICs and only one or two works.

Yes, because the kernel doesn't seem to like the IRQ assignments and
tries to change them. The file Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
from the kernel source also suggests:

pci=biosirq

The error message at the very end of your e-mail seems to come from
the via-rhine driver. Could you disable this network chip (in BIOS as
it's on-board) or make such that the driver is not loaded ? The 3c59x
driver is supposed to be able to share interrupts, but the via-rhine
one seems to be upset when it receives an interrupt that it didn't
expect.