[vortex] slow receive with 3cSOHO100-TX card / 3c59x drivers

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Feb 28 08:28:19 PST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Michael wrote:

> root at 0[~]# mii-diag
> Using the default interface 'eth0'.
> Basic registers of MII PHY #24:  ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
> ffff.

So the transceiver cannot be read...

> Indeed.  So, that part works in linux 2.4, but not in 2.6.

I suspect it has something to do with the power management. Could you
try booting with "acpi=off" on the 2.6 kernel command line ? (unless
you have some other devices that rely on ACPI being enabled...)

I also remember seeing this problem when the transceiver was not set
to autonegotiation/NWAY in the card's EEPROM. You can use either
vortex-diag (from ftp://ftp.scyld.com:/pub/diag) or the DOS-based
3c90xcfg.exe (from 3Com's site, floppy disk or CD that came with
card) to check/set this.

> In 2.6, lsmod also doesn't show any mii modules loaded.

3c59x does not (yet ?) use the MII generic routines offered by the mii
module.