[vortex] 3c556B: no luck with Ubuntu 2.6.10

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Aug 22 09:36:57 PDT 2005

On 19 Aug 2005, Gregory Stark wrote:

> I'm having the same problem as the Christian Böttger describes in
> http://www.scyld.com/pipermail/vortex/2005-April/002482.html

Hmm, I managed to miss both his messages...

> *** EEPROM MAC address is invalid.

This means that EEPROM reading returned zeros, which probably happens
because either:
- the EEPROM really contains bad data; very unlikely, but given that
there are 2 reports with very similar hardware, it might be possible
- the EEPROM is not powered correctly - this is most likely related to
some power management (ACPI) changes in the respective kernels. It has
nothing to do with the driver per-se; maybe the driver needs to call
some power management routine before reading the EEPROM. I think that
I've seen in the past months some mention of a patch for 3c59x that
said something about power management, but I can't remember clearly...