[vortex] Two quick questions...

Peter Szmrecsanyi peter at totallinux.com.br
Sun Aug 14 06:31:45 PDT 2005

Hello,

I have two quick questions to which I can't seem to find the answers on the
driver documentation (nor on google):

1. Does the vortex driver (the one that is included in the 2.6.11 source)
accept kernel boot parameters? If so what would the equivalent be of
"options=0x204", "ether=0x204,eth2"? Is it the same for an EISA device? I
read a mailing list message from 2003 that said the ether=... is broken due
to the use of alloc_etherdev() API.
2. Does the vortex driver support running the 3C597 (a.k.a. TCM5970) at
100Mbps? Or maybe at 10Mbps at FD? Is there a reason as to why "mii-tool"
wont change the speed of an EISA device that uses a vortex driver built into
the kernel?

Here is my problem, if anyone is interested as to why I've asked the
questions above:

I have two NICs in my system: a 3C905 (PCI) and a 3C597 (EISA). The 3C905
works like a charm; auto detects the right media and has a good throughput.
My problem is with the 3C597, it works well at its default media setting
10Mbps Half Duplex, but it's plugged into a 100/10 switch so it should auto
detect 100 Mbps at Half Duplex (as according to the NIC's user guide it can
only operate at HD when in 100Base), the other weird thing is that the light
at the back of the card indicates that it´s running at 100M but mii-tool
seems to think that's it's running at 10M HD.

The other aggravating thing is that I've built the vortex driver into the
kernel, now I need to pass some boot up parameters in order to force
different speeds, but ether=0x204,eth2 seems to have no affect!

Thanks for time.

Peter.