[vortex] Fedora Core 2: two 3c905 don't work

Alex ambroxa at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 26 13:52:01 PDT 2004

In my home pc (a P-III 933 MHz) is installed since 1
year a 3C905C Tornado and it works fine with Windows
XP and Fedora Core 2.
Now I need (for some simple network experiment) to
install a second nic, a 3C905B Cyclone.
With Windows XP no problem: this OS configure these
two nic without any error.
But with FC2 (kernel 2.6.5) I can't use the second nic
(eth1).

The 3c59x driver (compiled as module or compiled
static in kernel) detects right two nic:
----snip----
3c59x: Donald Becker and others.
www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
0000:02:0b.0: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 10/100/BNC at
0x2800. Vers LK1.1.19
0000:02:0d.0: 3Com PCI 3c905C Tornado at 0x2c00. Vers
LK1.1.19
------------

I can use only eth0 device and always is the 3C905C
Tornado.
Any access to eth1 (ifconfig or else) says:
----------
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
----------
The same message with driver compiled as module or
static.

If I remove from PC the 3C905C , the 3C905B is
detected and is configured correctly as eth0 and it
works fine.

I've add in "/etc/modprobe.conf" the line "alias eth1
3c59x" without success.

I've also physical swapped in PCI bus the cards
without success.

I've removed these nic and I've installed (thanks to
my friend) two Intel nic: they works correctly without
any problem. Kernel detect and use eth0 and eth1
without any problem.

So, what's wrong with my two 3C905B/C ?
Someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance.