[vortex] eth0: memory shortage

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Dec 19 15:02:11 PST 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Steven Timm wrote:

> In previous versions of the OS we also saw
> eth0: too much work in interrupt

This usually means that the 3c59x interrupt code is not called as
often as it should, probably because interrupts generated by other
devices are processed.

> but now we are seeing them simultaneously across all
> 240 nodes of a cluster.

This is very strange... Do you have some application that uses
multicast ? This could explain lots of packets to lots of nodes
simultaneously...

> eth0:memory shortage

Hmm, I've tried to convince somebody on the RHEL mailing list that
this had nothing to do with the driver and everything to do with the
memory handling in general. The system is just short on memory and
memory allocation by the driver fails. The recent RHEL3 kernels have
had quite bad memory handling behaviour and this might be related.
Supposedly the RHEL3U4 kernel that should come out very soon finally
fixes memory handling.

> Any difference in multicast handling?

Not at the driver level at least...