[vortex] 3c905 Boomerang - kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 26 11:34:14 PDT 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Ian Marr wrote:

> I have just installed Fedora Core 2 on an old 300-Mhz Gateway PC but the
> network is not working.

You don't specify what kernel version you use (as in original FC2 or
updates) and I was too busy and lost track of this. IIRC, kudzu from
Fedora did not play nice with the 3c59x driver, trying to get some
data that needed hardware access while the hardware was still in sleep
state.  Some cards were disturbed by this and did not function
afterward; some others (like Tornado/905C) were not disturbed. Alan
Cox submitted a fix at some point, but, as I have lost track of the
issue, I don't know if it actually fixed the problem.

So, my suggestion is to disable kudzu ('chkconfig kudzu off') then
reboot. If the network starts functioning, then you had this problem.
An update of the kernel and/or kudzu (if available) might provide the
fix and will allow using the network while still keeping kudzu on.