[vortex] Problems with 3Com NIC, strange messages into the syslog.

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed Jan 22 09:39:01 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Docume wrote:

> Here is the copy of the text of the syslog:
>
> Jan 21 17:51:33 fw-inet1 kernel: eth3: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.
> Jan 21 17:51:33 fw-inet1 kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch. See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

Well, that's pretty descriptive.

> It is connected to a Cisco ethernet port, the configuration of that port
> is:

I read "Cisco" and I don't need to go further.  Read

> interface Ethernet0/0
> ip address 10.1.2.254 255.255.255.0
> no ip mroute-cache
> full-duplex
> no cdp enable

Yes.  This is not a standard-conforming setting.  Have your Cisco admin
read the document above.

> It is strange because the cisco's ethernet port is running using
> 'full-duplex' but 3Com nic reports Half-duplex and 'Negotiation did not
> complete.'
>
> why?

Because the Cisco switch is configured incorrectly.