[vortex] question regarding driver version

m.vernimmen@chello.nl m.vernimmen@chello.nl
Mon Jan 13 11:12:03 2003

hello all,

I'm ignorant, but I've searched the web and asked questions, so atleast I tried before I came here. I run an smp machine with kernel 2.4.20 with a 3c905c-tx-m card.
I was having some problems with carrier loss on the card, which aren't fixed yet (you may find another posting from me soon), so I had a look at the driver in the kernel. it's from 18/7/2001

But the newest available version is from 12/16/2002

so I found myself wondering.. why is the kernel so outdated? there's probably a good reason for this, I'm merely inquiring out of curiosity.

also, can I simply replace the 3c59x.c in the kernel and recompile, while expecting stuff to work afterward?

thanks,

Max