[vortex] cannot activate eth0 (3c59x [duh]) in RH8.0 dual boo t system

ZIGLIO Frediano Frediano.Ziglio@vodafoneomnitel.it
Mon Feb 3 09:39:00 2003

> > However if you set speed/duplex correctly in EEPROM
> mii-diag do not work
> > anymore and also network do not run (with or without
> correct options to
> > 3c59x driver).
>
> If you want to *force* your network to a certain speed you NEED to do
> the same on BOTH sides. One side forced and the other on
> auto-negotiation will cause ongoing grief. IT'S BAD. DON'T DO THAT. :)
>
> Please read
>    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.html
> for a detailed discussion of problems, failures and very
> little succes.

I know that this cause problems (our catalyst is setted 100/Full, my card
should be 100/Full too instead of autonegotiate) but I think that problem is
the driver. I experience many problems with cards not in autonegotiate
(driver say no cable or other, it work ramdomly). The same card with eeprom
setted correctly work perfectly under windows.

freddy77

"STRICTLY PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL

This message may contain confidential and proprietary material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by others is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact
the sender and delete all copies.
The contents of this message that do not relate to the official business of
our company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it."