[vortex] iomem allocation by network driver

Michael Wisse mwisse@hs-harz.de
Wed Apr 30 08:42:01 2003

>The card is using the I/O address 0xcc000

O.k., I found it in /proc/ioports.

But what is with this entry in /proc/iomem?

000d0000-000d07ff : Extension ROM

It is definitivly from the tornado  card. If I unplug the card, this
range is empty.

>I believe that your problem is that the BIOS is not assigning the "high
>memory" region to the ISA bus.

What do you mean with "high memory "? I can plug jumpers on the ISA card
to set the memory range below 1 MByte (a good choice is d0000,because it
is normally free)  or above 1 Mbyte, what is not recommended.  Therefore
I try to use the adress range from d0000.

>ISA "high memory" cards use a different address space: "memory mapped",
>instead of "I/O mapped" space.

The ISA driver uses  ioports and iomem in the above mentioned range for
configuration of the card and implements mmap() for some fast access
functions, which are not used by the driver access library.  I am new in
driver programming, but I just try to port the ISA driver to kernel 2.4.

I know, here is no driver programming maillist, but I am really
interested in the question, if I can use the memory range from
000d0000-000d07ff or if the tornado card prevents this.

Regards
Michael