[vortex] Problems with 3C920

Michael Wisse mwisse@hs-harz.de
Tue Sep 3 11:29:00 2002

I updated linux on my notebook. It has a 3c920 network chip, which is
compatibel to 3c905c.
Now TCP/IP does not work anymore. If I ping the gateway ore any other
IP, I always get the answer" destination host unreachable".

Ip, netmask and gateway are ok, win2000 works with these settings.
The problem seems to be the 3c59x driver module. I tried suse_linux_8.0
and redhat_7.3, both use the same 3c59x module for my card.
Unfortunately I can not find out, which version of the driver they use.

After reading in the list archive, I tried options=4 and full_duplex=1
to set my chip to 100baseTX full duplex, without real success. If I look
in /var/log/messages, the chip was found by the module as 3c905c
tornado, the media type was changed to 100basetx and everything seems to
be ok.

I tried to use the driver source from
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/3c59x.c, but I could not compile it,
many errors from /usr/include/linux/version.h , "no such file
pci-scan.h" and so on. I tried to compile it on suse_linux_8.0 with
kernel 2.4.18-4GB and redhat_7.3 with kernel 2.4.18.3.

I'm quite desperated.

--
regards.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen