[vortex] Duplicate major numbers and resolving device file names

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Oct 22 06:11:01 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Manish Madan wrote:

> I am new to kernel programming. I had a couple of questions. When I
> try to add device special files to /dev using mknod, it allows me to
> add files with the same major number and even the same major and minor
> numbers.

This question is very off-topic for this list.

> How is this possible ? Won't having two drivers for the same
> device (same major-minor pair for a character device, say) cause a
> conflict ?

You don't have two drivers for one device.  Either the driver supports
multiple clients, or it is response for providing exclusive access to
the first open().