[vortex] 3c905C for a linux router

Ralph Doncaster ralph@istop.com
Fri Nov 8 10:52:01 2002

I'm using a couple of 3c905C in a linux router.  Running 2.4.19 without
firewalling and with large routing tables on a Duron 750 the box runs
about 70% idle with ~60mbps of aggregate traffic and ~10K
interrupts/sec.  With a flow of smaller packets giving ~50mbps and 15K
interrupts/sec it was only ~40% idle.

I'm planning to rebuild the driver with rx_copybreak=0 to try to improve
the performance with smaller packets.  The other thing I'd like to be able
to do is rx interrupt mitigation like the Tulip 21143.   The driver only
seems to support tx interrupt mitigation though.  Is there another driver
I can use?

Ralph Doncaster
principal, IStop.com