[vortex] 3C905B-FX SC REV-A link problem

Nix N. Nix nix@go-nix.ca
Wed Nov 6 22:45:01 2002

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 19:49, Donald Becker wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Nix N. Nix wrote:
>
> > When an interface based on this card, using the 3c59x driver, is brought
>
> What driver version?

Umm, is this what you're looking for ?

    LK1.1.18ac 01Jul02 akpm
     - Fix for undocumented transceiver power-up bit on some 3c566B's
       (Donald Becker, Rahul Karnik)

This is from the 3c59x.c file as distributed with RedHat Linux 8.0

> > up, mii-tool version 1.60 reports no link, even though the card works
>
> Does 'mii-diag' work?

Sorry, I don't have mii-diag on that particular machine, and I don't
want to mess with the default RedHat install, because it's a production
machine.

> > properly and DHCP clients are able to work and ping also works.  Now,
> > normally this is not a problem.  Unfortunately, as of RedHat 8.0, they use
> > mii-tool to check the link status of an interface before even attempting
> > DHCP.
>
> That's bogus on two points.
>   The 'mii-tool' program should default to reporting a valid link if
>   the status cannot determined

Well, here's the output of mii-tool:
(I'm logged in from remote as I get this output, so, obviously, the
interface is up and working properly)

[root@wep10589 root]# /sbin/mii-tool eth0
eth0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link
[root@wep10589 root]#

>   RedHat should be using the DHCP timeout value.  Fix this with
>
> echo 'DHCPCDARGS="-t 4"' >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

RedHat 8.0 uses dhclient, not dhcpcd.

> --
> Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation		http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Scyld Beowulf cluster system
> Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

Thanks for all the help.