[vortex] Re: Problems with 3c59x driver network adapter stops working

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Nov 6 06:38:00 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Ruben van der Leij wrote:

> It would seem that there's a difference in opinion between the drivers and
> the cards point of view as to what 'factory defaults' exactly is. :)

The driver tries to respect the EEPROM setting. A logical default EEPROM
setting is "Autonegotiate" or "Autoselect". However, it seems that some
cards come preconfigured to other settings and some get new settings even
during the PXE boot according to Donald.
I have started thinking several times about doing a "smart" media
selection that would be forgiving about bad settings (either EEPROM or
module parameters), but I also hate when drivers get too smart and fail -
so my thoughts were never expressed as code...
Instead I tried to make vortex-diag be able to set media in EEPROM, but
the feedback that I've got was very low, so I still don't know if it does
the right thing (as the right thing appears different between real world
and documentation).