[vortex] Problems with 3c59x driver network adapter stops working

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 5 10:33:01 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Juergen Vigna wrote:

> I will attach the mii-tool, mii-diag and vortex-diag ouput in the
> faulty stage and the working stage (after doing a network restart).

I couldn't find anything in the outputs that would explain the fault :-(
However, I think that the "working slow" state is different from the
"frozen" state. I can't explain at all what change in hardware could
explain the "working slow" state - any power management would stop traffic
completely, duplex mismatch would not produce such delays to small ping
packets - so I would look at either routing or the switch.

Talking about power management (in which I have very little knowledge),
could you check what are the APM/ACPI setting of the computer and maybe
play with them ?
Could you try the driver from Scyld ? If I'm not mistaken the power
management is different in this one.
Could you try 3Com's driver (well, supposing that you could get it to
work) ? If my memory doesn't fail me, this one didn't use any power
management at all...