[vortex] old problem? with vortex driver

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Mar 22 12:46:02 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, David Dunlop wrote:

> Donald Becker wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, David Dunlop wrote:
> >>When I Download at High speeds I get this into my logs:
> >>Mar 21 20:49:55 zaphod kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 90.
> >
> > Transmit underrun.  This is rare.
> >
> >>[root@zaphod log]# dmesg |grep 3c
> >>3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
> >>02:0c.0: 3Com PCI 3c590 Vortex 10Mbps at 0xdf20. Vers LK1.1.16
> >
> > Two interesting details: this is a really old 3c590, and it's 10Mbps
> > only.
..
> I don't think there is anything unusual about my system.
> It's a 1GHz Dell 256M RDRAMM w/ECC
> Promise Ultra 100 TX2 IDE card

Hmmm, that should have plenty of PCI bandwidth.  I was expecting a
P5-100 system, or a slow WinChip.

> I should also node that when i am getting these i am writting through
> the Promise card

Perhaps the Promise card is causing arbitration problems.

Hmmm: Andrew or Bogdan, does the LK1.1.16 driver set the PCI Latency
setting?
Here is the comment in the driver:
/* Check the PCI latency value.  On the 3c590 series the latency timer
   must be set to the maximum value to avoid data corruption that occurs
   when the timer expires during a transfer.  This bug exists the Vortex
   chip only. */