[vortex] The mysteries of on-chip MII.

Bill Cattey wdc@MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 1 17:51:02 2002

I registered myself on the 3com web site as a developer, and fetched
the  "3C90xC NICsTechnical Reference", apparently published 9/99.

There's a pretty explicit set of pseudo code starting at page 193.  It says to
set xcvrSelect to "Auto-Negotiation" in the internal configuration, and
then try PHY 24 (0x18) first before doing any scanning for other PHY
addresses.

At the moment I'm working up the courage to try and read 3c59x.c and try
and understand if there are differences between what is in the driver
and what is in the pseudo code.

I expect I'll not get an answer to this until next week when you get back, but:

Is the 9/99 doc that I'm looking at a more recent rev with clearer MII
instructions than what you've been heretofore working with?

Or am I still way behind on the learning curve here, and should be quiet
till I've done more homework?

-wdc