[vortex] Mini PCI - no link

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Jun 24 18:56:01 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Dave Dribin wrote:

> Ok, I've attached two files: before_win.txt and after_win.txt.  The
> "before" file is a register dump before Windows is booted, where the
> xcvr does not come up in Linux.  The "after" file is a register dump
> after booting to Windows, then rebooting back to Linux.  There are
> definitely differences, but I can't really decipher what's important
> and what's just status.

The status reports are essentially identical.
The only noticable differences are
    Window 0 offset 0
      An undefined register is set to 0x0900 instead of 0x0000
      Perhaps it's not undefined in the new board?
    Offset 0x20 DMACtrl  Download in progress
      The chip is trying to download packet, but apparently can't get
      access to the PCI bus.

Point 1 is easy to check.  Just add
   outw(0x0900, ioaddr + 0);
just after changing the window to 0 around line 862.

Point 2 is somewhat more difficult.  We likely need to see the PCI
configuration space setup.  Perhaps using 'lspci -vv' on the device.

> Here's the IDs of the working card:
>
> 00:03.0 Class 0200: 10b7:6056 (rev 20)
>         Subsystem: 10b7:6356
>
> Here's the IDs from my non-working card:
>
> 00:03.0 Class 0200: 10b7:6056 (rev 20)
>         Subsystem: 10b7:6556

Not very much difference, but it does appear that your card is more
recent.  (Grrrr, update the chip rev. if something changes.)